Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Stars and Stripes


I spent Independence day in Myrtle Beach. It's great being at the beach for the 4th because as far as the eye can see - up and down the beach - people are blowing up fireworks. And South Carolina has the GOOD stuff - none of this sparkler amateur hour. Their fireworks shoot high in the air, EXPLODE, and rain down in a glorious shower of color.

My mom asked me to make some desserts, so before I left for the wedding in California, I baked some star cookies. I waited to ice them until the actual 4th of July because I knew if they were iced beforehand my piggy family would eat them and there'd be none left for the actual festivities.


For the cookies I had 4 different designs: USA cookies, stars within stars, tie-dye, and just plain sprinkles (I let my brother decorate those.) To get the star-burst/tie-dye effect I flooded the cookies with white royal icing, then drew on red and blue lines. 



Taking a toothpick I drew lines from the middle out.


And wah-lah! Starburst!


I went on a patriotic decoration buying spree a few years ago so I have a bunch of fun cupcake toppers.


I still maintain that the red, white, and blue star sprinkles are one of the best purchases I've ever made. It'll be a very sad day when I run out of those.

I hope you all enjoyed your Fourth of July!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment