Friday, June 22, 2012

Wednesday Review: Cross Stitch Keepsakes


I've only done a few cross stitch projects in my time. I've always really enjoyed them. They're pretty time consuming, but there's a certain satisfaction you get when you complete a certain design or color in a project. It's really fun to watch the progress of it. A while back I thought I'd really get into cross stitching so I bought a few books and a ton of thread. Cross Stitch Keepsakes by Helen Philipps has a ton of cute ideas for gifts.


What I like:
·         The book is organized into different occasions - baby, wedding, anniversary, friends, family etc. which makes it easy to find a gift for a specific occasion.
·         It's not all samplers. There are small keepsakes such as ornaments, cards, luggage and bottle labels. A lot of things that should be quick, cute, and something I would never have thought of.
·         I feel like a lot of cross stitches are old fashioned. The kind of stuff you find in yard-sales because nobody actually wants to display it anywhere. Most of the designs in this book are display-worthy. And since a lot of the projects aren't just framed samplers, you don't have to worry about people not wanting to have a house full of cross-stitched art.
·         There is a Materials and Techniques section which  discusses fabrics that are good for cross stitching, different needles and threads to use and how to best frame or display your cross stitch

What I don't like:
·         The patterns include others not pictured. I like that there are so many options, so you can pick which works best for you, but it'd be nice to see what they all look like when completed. 

Maybe I'll try and make a few of the smaller items for wedding/baby showers coming up! 

No comments:

Post a Comment