Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Groom's Cake - Vroom Vroom


One of my good friends Mary got married in September. I offered to make a grooms cake for the reception. Her husband is really into racing so we decided to try to incorporate his car into the cake.


This is an actual picture of his car that I lifted off of Facebook and then used as a model to make the fondant miniature.


I wasn't 100% sure how I was going to make the car. I bought red fondant in case I wanted to mold it out of that, but I wasn't sure how to get the white stripes on the side, so in the end I decided to mold it out of white fondant and paint it. I used AmericColor edible paints.


The inside of the cake is probably my favorite. I bought a checkered cake kit a while back and never knew what to use it for. When I asked what kind of cake they wanted, the bride said she liked white cake and the groom liked chocolate. I thought, I can do BOTH! And added bonus, it looks like a checkered racing flag. #Winning.


This is what the set looks like. (Bonus: hidden Mickey!) Pretty simple.


You fill the outer and inner most circles with one kind of batter...


And then the center ring with the opposite. Once all the rings are filled, you slowly remove the plastic...


Tah-dah! It's a little messy, but not as bad as you would think. Then you bake the cakes normally.


I made the almond butter cream frosting to fill between the layers.


All three layers ready to be frosted!


Then I rolled out some green fondant I bought (I used the Fondarific brand because I think it tastes the best out of all the ones I've tried) and covered the frosted cake.


Next I trimmed off the edges and added a black road, the fondant car, and some mini fondant cones I made.


Here's the cake displayed at their wedding! The ribbon around the bottom was money. It made the cake look 100 times better. It's a simple and easy way to make the edges look smooth.


Here's what the inside looked like. Now I want to go eat some chocolate. Probably going to have to buy my trick-or-treaters some more candy because I don't think what I have is going to last until Halloween!

No comments:

Post a Comment