Tuesday, November 26, 2013

The Day of the Doctor/Nerdtastic Weekend!


Fish fingers and custard!!!! That could only mean one thing... Doctor Who 50th Anniversary viewing party!! It was a fantastic weekend which I'm going to say started Thursday evening when I went to see Catching Fire.


This was me at work Thursday, way too excited to see the movie. I didn't really have time to get a costume together since I was travelling like crazy this month. Nothing a Mockingjay pin can't fix though! The movie was everything I wanted. JLaw can do no wrong in my eyes. I liked it so much that I'm going to see it again tonight in IMAX. The audience was a little dissapointing, our theater was only half full - so not quite the opening night experience I was hoping for. But guess it didn't really matter in the end because the movie was FANTASTIC.


Saturday I woke up and immediately started baking. I bought some great Doctor Who cookie cutters from WarpZonePrints. I dyed the dough blue and grey since I didn't have time to ice the cookies.


I bought TARDIS, DW, Weeping Angel, Adipose, Cyberman, Dalek, and Doctors 8,9, & 10 cookie cutters. Though I didn't use the Doctors and realized after I finished that I also forgot to use the Dalek cutter. Oh well - They'll get some use for the Christmas Special.


I threw some disco dust on the cookies once they came out of the oven.


I love how they turned out!


I found a recipe online for cookies that look like fish fingers. (Because who really eats fish fingers with custard...) I bought a set of shot glasses at Comic-con this summer that display all 11 doctors and have a disappearing TARDIS on the back. (When the glass is warm the TARDIS turns white). They were perfect vessels for custard!


I bought a groupon a while back for personalized M&Ms. I've always wanted to make them. I chose 4 different phrases - "Allons-y", "Geronimo!", "Doctor Who?", and "Bow ties are cool" and had them printed on TARDIS blue M&Ms. mmmmmmm


I also set out some 3D glasses and bow ties for the event. Got to represent both my Doctors!


I got a silicone Doctor Who ice mold for the 50th Anniversary Reddit exchange so we could drink in style - melting Dalek's and TARDIS's alike. The movie was just... SO GOOD. Everything I could have wanted. The interactions between the 3 doctors was gold. So many great one-liners. 


I went and saw it again in the theater last night in 3D. It was so fun. Unlike Catching Fire, the theater was completely sold out and the crowd was awesome.


My favorite was the 6 year old behind us in line dressed as a Cyberman telling everyone they would be deleted. One day I hope to have a child as awesome as this.


I even brought my own special snack for the movie :) It was great to watch it with so many fellow Whovians who screamed every time David Tennant came on screen, gasped, cheered, clapped, and yelled in all the right places, and nearly lost their minds towards the end of the movie. (if you saw it, you probably know what part I'm talking about.)


Hope everyone else had as great of a viewing experience as I did!!

3 comments:

  1. Wow. I'm a little jealous of how much fun you had. Those cookies look delish!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks!! I'm a little sad its over now haha. But I guess we're less than a month away from the Christmas Special, though I'm not sure how much I'm looking forward to it. It will be bittersweet for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kim I did almost the exact same thing this past weekend! Looks like you had an as amazing time as I did! Happy Thanksgiving!! xo

    ReplyDelete