Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Rainbows for a Dreary Day

The past few days have been rather dreary weather-wise so I think its time for a rainbow post! If you know me, you know I love bright colors - I mean really, I own these shoes:



Rainbows are a great way to cram lots of bright colors into one. A few months ago there was a baking contest at the Church I attend. I entered into the cupcake category. I tried to decide on a cupcake that could clinch the winning spot and went back and forth between zombie cupcakes and tie-dye cupcakes. I wasn't sure how church-appropriate zombie cupcakes were so I went with the tie-dye. My mom had made full-sized tie-dye cake for my brother once, so I figured I should be able to do it with cupcakes. I started with a yellow cake mix, divided it into four and dyed each a different color (red, blue, green, & yellow). Then I spooned each into the cupcake papers.






When all the batter was in the papers, I took a toothpick to swirl it around a bit. It was a process but they came out really well! I decorated with blue and green frosting to compliment the aray of colors beneath.




Sadly I didn't win the competition, which I blame on the fact that I had to cut the cupcakes in fourths for the competition so the cake hardened a little - but they were definitely beautiful! 

No comments:

Post a Comment